Monday, March 8, 2010

Charlene's Armory Show Favorites

While reports are saying Armory Show exhibitors "played it safe" this year, I was extremely impressed at the thousands of artworks I laid my eyes on this past weekend. As art collectors, exhibitors, common folk-art enthusiasts (like myself) and others attended the massive art fair (NYC's largest - encompassing Piers 92 and 94) right off the Hudson River, I fantasized about what I would purchase, if given a blank (or perhaps 6-figure) check.

I was so overwhelmed as I walked around, I must've looked like a deer in headlights to at least a few gallerists, and I wasn't even looking to purchase anything! How does one determine which - of the thousands of works on sale - to buy? While art collecting tends to be a personal endeavor, marked by experience, money, and individual taste, I can't imagine any buyer leaving the Armory Show and not finding what he / she was looking for.

Here are some amateur photos of my personal favorites - artworks, that if given the opportunity, I would have purchased to add to my own modest art collection.

Mel Bochner's wordy masterpieces (Two Palms, NY)

Jeongmee Yoon's "Ethan and His Blue Things" (2006) - the large glossy light-jet print is so much more detailed, interesting and unique in person (my photo doesn't do it justice)

Yoon's "Kara-Deyeoun and her Pink Things" is equally amazing... I would hang them side-by-side (Both works were on display at Jenkins Johnson Gallery's Booth

HC Berg's "Visual Vortex" at Galerie Forsblom (Helsinki) drew me in like a crystal ball. I's 3D iridescence, abstract shapes and glowing ora were enchanting.

I loved the pop-art-esque feel of Marjorie Strider's "Girl With Radish" at Mark Borghi Fine Arts